SNOWMOBILE FROM SKJÓL
The Adventure starts with a super truck transport from Amazing Basecamp Skjól, located between infamous Geysir and Gullfoss Waterfall, to the snowmobile base at the edge of Langjökull glacier.
At the base by Langjökull, Iceland’s second largest glacier, we provide the gear needed, helmet, winter overall and gloves, to make sure you are safe and warm on the snowmobile activity. Before we hit the throttle a certified snowmobile guide will teach you all the basic and show you have to safely before we head out for an hour snowmobile adventure.
The glacier is roughly parallel to the direction of the country’s active volcanic zone: north-east to south-west. Under Langjökull there are two or more volcanic systems. The area of the glacier includes some mountains, e.g. Mt. Skriðufell and Jarlhettur (“The earl’s hat”) on the east side of Langjökull, a palagonitic mountain range, which originated in a fissure vent under a glacier during Ice Age. On a clear day we can even see Eiríksjökull glacier, the dome-shaped Hofsjökull glacier and Kerlingafjöll Mountain range rest in the distance.
The snowmobile tour is a fantastic way to enjoy a fun glacier adventure.
– A valid driver license is required to operate the snowmobiles
Examples of booking:
- Single Rider:
- If one person wants to drive their own snowmobile, choose the “Single Ride” option.
- Indicate the number of snowmobiles needed by putting “1” in the corresponding field.
- Two Persons, Separate Snowmobiles:
- If there are two persons, and each of them wants to have their own snowmobile, select the “Single Ride” option.
- In the field for the number of snowmobiles, put “2” to indicate two separate snowmobiles.
- Two Persons, Shared Snowmobile:
- If two persons are riding together on the same snowmobile, choose the “Double Ride” option.
- Indicate the number of snowmobiles needed by putting “2” in the corresponding field.
Departure: Daily at 12:20
Duration: 3-4 hours, incl. 1 hour on the snowmobiles
Included: English speaking guidance, super truck transport to the snowmobile base and all equipment needed for the snowmobiling
Bring/wear: Dress according to weather, bring warm clothing and wear sturdy shoes.
Age limit: 8 years
Pick up: Starts 12:15 at Amazing Basecamp Skjól (located between Geysir and Gullfoss Waterfall)
The tour is also available with pick up from Reykjavik.